Saturday, July 11, 2009

Boo Hoo...It's the Swine Flu!

You may have wondered if we have fallen off the face of the Earth. We've been holed up in our house with the flu this week. This is how it happened.

I was supposed to go to Youth Conference this week for 3 days. Jack had a bad fever so I took him to instacare as a precaution. I didn't want to leave him with babysitters if he had anything bad. They did a strep test, which was negative. The doctor thought he probably had laryngitis, as he couldn't really talk. I insisted on the flu test to appease my paranoid husband, and just to make sure I wasn't leaving Joey with more than he could handle. To the doctors' great surprise...it came back positive! After 2 hours in the instacare I was pretty frazzled.


I was reeling...I had so much to do this week for my calling I wasn't sure what I should do. The doctor gave us Tamiflu for everyone "at risk" (kids under 5 and pregnant ladies!) and I drove home. When I told Joey about Jack he said "I knew it!"...and then proceeded to tell me he was feeling pretty achy too! I called the doctor and got some medicine for him too.


By 10:30 that night, I was finally back from the pharmacy and ready to crash. The next day I called the other leaders to let them know that I couldn't come to Youth Conference. It is so funny people's reaction to this flu...I might as well tell people we have leprosy, lice, and fleas over here. It is so embarrassing, and then I have to explain to them that it is pretty much like the normal flu...only super contagious because it is a new strain. The stigma of it is the WORST PART!


I was glad I stayed home, because ALL four of my kids, five if you count Joey, got this flu to some degree. I feel so blessed that I didn't get it, with being pregnant and all. So we basically have quarantined ourselves to the house for the week. Joey will be able to go back to work on Monday (don't worry people...he will be TOTALLY NON-CONTAGIOUS by then...we are being super cautious). It has been so strange to have him here all week...usually if he has time off we travel or have family in town. (Besides the horrible FLU part, I must admit...I LOVED it!)


The first couple of nights were tough, and ended up like a big Emig slumber party:





Even though they didn't feel good, they still smiled for the camera!



It was interesting to note the different sick "styles" my kids have...


Tyson wants me to be right by him the whole time. If I go to another room, or try to do the dishes he starts whining for me. He wants to be physically touching me. He even wants me there rubbing his back when he is throwing up! (This is so hard for me...but I try hard, because I know it means alot to him)

Jack, when REALLY sick, holds still and is quiet. He doesn't ask for much, and trys to sleep alot and just get better. He did look at me at one point this last week and whispered "Mom, am I going to die?" It about broke my heart, because he was not being dramatic!

Carolina...she talks the whole time!! I am not exaggerating...she uses this sick little voice and she says really adorable things, mostly pledging her love for me and the rest of the family. For example "Mom, I love you with all my heart...I am your sweet little girl and you are always going to protect me." She goes on and on. I just keep telling her, "that's right Carolina Jones...I love you and you are going to be better soon."

Grace is cuddly and sweet, and pats my head or face alot!

Anyway, we are finally on the mend. I didn't want to talk about it too much until it was over...but now I can safely say, we made it through the infamous swine flu and made some memories to boot! Jack's birthday was today, and I have assured him that we will have a great party next week. We have had some great picnics in our backyard, and watched a movie together in the theater and had alot of quality snuggle time as a family. Meanwhile I am so behind in my blogging...I have some things I want to document before I forget all about them....so stay tuned...oh, and a very special announcement: MY PARENTS ARE COMING HOME....NEXT SATURDAY! I can't stop smiling.

13 comments:

::lindsay said...

I'm so glad you guys are over the swine flu!

And even more excited for you that your parents are coming home! YEA!

Earl Family said...

What???? Are you kidding me? I can't even believe it. My hats off to you for having such an amazing attitude. You are a strong person. I admire that.

gramyflys said...

Oh, what a week!! You guys are so tough to get through this, and what a super wonderful blessing that YOU didn't get it. That is amazing. It breaks my heart that you have all been so sick. It was interesting to read how each of the kids handles sickness differently. Tyson sounds like how his Dad was. I am sorry you had to miss Youth Conference..didn't you just get back from camp? Busy YW summer, huh? Happy Birthday to Jack today..it was fun to hear his little voice. What a sweetheart.
Congrats on getting your parents home finally. I know it has been a long absence for you and that it will be a wonderful 6 months of togetherness before they are off again! Love to you all...

duke of earl said...

I also thought the different ways the people in your family act sick was interesting to read...I am more like jack, (but what's new).

Doug Earl said...

SORRY!
LOVE MOM

Celly said...

Why didn't you call me!! I would have brought you food---or something!!! This summer has really been a bust for us--hasn't it. I will be calling you MONDAY--I'll let your sunday be a day of rest (naps)
LOVE CELLY

ashleyboice said...

yuck! jk hahaha

ckweller said...

I really hate the swine flu. My hat is off to you, being cooped up in a house with 4 kids for a week is no small task I am sure.

Lindsay said...

Not funny that you guys were all sick, but super funny that someone I actually know got this "horrific" flu the media is making out to be like the plague! We were all sick around here last week with the throwing up/flu stuff. Wonder if it was the same thing. Cute little Jack. His question about dying is adorable! Happy belated birthday to him from us! Glad you guys are on the mend!

Angelique said...

Oh, blah..but awesome family time. I love that you had picnics and movie nights together. I love that stuff.

I am someone that likes alone time and is okay doing things on my own but when I am sick I am like Tyson, I want company and to be babied.

I also had a sore throat and then a fever but it has just turned into a cold. Phew.

Allison said...

Are you serious? You had the actual swine flu?? Holy moley! Seriously, a week of the whole family being sick is so traumatic. I'm STILL talking about "when we were sick" and I still feel like we're all still recovering from the endless nights of puking and no good sleep for 7 straight days! Crazy that you didn't get it....a total blessing! Jack is adorable thinking he might be dying ;) Oh, and Ashton is just like that when he's sick....yet another similarity between those two tiny boys! :)

Love you much. SO happy your parents are en route! Enjoy them!!

p.s. I'm pretty excited to see you all in Sept.! I'm giddy about it, in fact! :) Hotels are booked, we just need to get those game tix and figure out our dinner. Any cool ideas yet????? email me!

emily said...

I feel really bad laughing about it, but I'm totally laughing. That's crazy! Jared and I both got the biggest kick out of the part where Joey "suddenly felt achy" when he found out it was the swine flu...mostly because that's exactly how Jared would be. I also got a kick out of the "sick styles" commentary. Tyson: like Joey. Jack: like you (you are always very STILL when you're pregnant-sick). Carolina: like Ashley (though I don't know this for sure, this is how I imagine Ashley when she's sick, just because she's such a converstaionalist!) Love you guys. So glad you're on the mend...

Crisdee said...

Calista! I thought your title was a joke! how come you didn't call me I would've come over, I wanted to get it! jk!
I'm glad you guys are all feeling better and that you didn't catch it.. It's pathetic all the stuff the media says about the swine flu... sick! but still serious enough... I am so happy that you guys are fine and I had to read at the different ways your kids deal with sickness... I'm surprised about Tyson...would've never guessed! love ya!