Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving in AZ

Happy Thanksgiving! I'll start with a great shot of Gracie in her pilgrim hat.
We decided to head for AZ this year for Thanksgiving for some good family time with the Emigs. Joey booked a room in Vegas so we could go halfway after school on Tuesday. A good idea in theory, but in all practicality it made for a night not soon to be forgotten. Sleeping in a room with 5 kids is never a good idea. At 3 in the morning Joey and I looked at each other and started laughing...what were we thinking??? The kids thought it was pretty fun though. We stayed at the Palms. The room was quite nice, but I wasn't sure about the whole thing when Grace said "look mom a bunny!!" (pointing to the playboy insignia that was prominently displayed throughout the hotel.) Jack said "I've been seeing alot of bad pictures around mommy." I told him to just look the other way, and he said "yah, that's what I've been doing!"
We arrived in South Chandler (we call it the boondocks) on Wednesday and the fun began. We had a wonderful dinner on Thursday...the kids ate outside and there were 6 of us at the dining room table. I am used to crazy and loud Thanksgivings...it was rather refreshing. The food was DELICIOUS!! (I will have to add pictures of this later after I steal some from Natalie's blog...my camera was in the bedroom where Fiona was taking a very substantial nap...I was NOT about to risk waking her up right when I was about to get my eat on!)

Some highlights of the week: Joey and Ty got to go to an ASU football game, hanging out with the Christensens, eating at My Big Fat Greek with the fam, playing games, lots of trains, boggle with Dave and Joey and the dad, dinner at Lindsays', Gramy taking the kids to tangled and to In & Out, Joey letting me sleep in one day, lots of hanging out and having fun. We extended our trip so we could spend more time with the mom and so Joey and his dad could attend the Cardinals game that was Monday night. The only bummer of the week was the BYU/Utah game...sigh.

The boys at the movie...
And the girls....
I absolutely LOVED the movie (Tangled). We had so much fun.
Then it was off to In & Out for the best food ever. It was a great afternoon. Thanks Gramy!!! (Sorry this picture doesn't have you in it...you were closing your eyes in the ones I had with you...)
While the Joey and Dad were at the game, and Ty and Jack were running around with the Broekman boys, we had a quiet afternoon. Gramy is very patient and spent hours playing with the girls.
A couple of car shots on the drive home. By staying the extra days we avoided nasty roads for the trip home. We were so happy about that.
My kids are amazing travelers, but it is still a long day with 5 kids in a minivan.

It was a great trip. I love Thanksgiving...it is all the good things about Christmas, like family, and food, traditions and traveling, but without the stress of presents.

5 comments:

Ike and Linh Earl said...

Cali,
I love all your UPDATES!! great pictures!!

Douglas and Connie Jones Earl said...

Great blog! Wonderful pictures! Thanks!
Grandma Connie

Earl Family said...

That hotel picture and story cracked me up :P

Thanks for the updates.

Jared said...

Cali, you know your blog has made it to the big time when "Anonymous" is advertising in your comment section.

Oh and your family picture from Christmas turned out super cute. I'm jealous.

Jared said...

Oh and thanks for having my blog on your blog list. No, I'm not hurt or anything. haha