Monday, November 17, 2008

A House of Order

We had an exhausting weekend of stomach flu! Of course the worst day was Friday, so while Joey was at work I took care of all the sick kids while running for the bathroom myself. It has been through all of us by now, and so today, I wanted to open the curtains, look at the sun, and get something done.

There are lots of things I have no control of in my life right now....family out of work, stress from my husband's job, the economy, the volume of my children's voices....all in all, I have been feeling stressed out. I have decided to focus my energies to something I CAN do in my life. Right now, I look around and things are a mess. Sometimes I feel like all I do is CLEAN! And when I am picking things up, I look at them and think, what is this, and more importantly, where does it belong? So I have decided to take a closet at a time and de-junk my life. SIMPLIFY.

Today, I took on the biggest of my planned projects....the toy room. I went through every toy in my entire house. I threw away 2 huge garbage bags of junk, donated 3 bags of good stuff to D.I., and organized everything. I really wish I would've taken a "before" picture so that you could get an idea of what I'm talking about...but anyway, here is the after:

Here is a picture of the awesome closets I had put in when we finished our basement. It is seriously one of the best things about my house!
The finished toy closet. One of those bins is even empty! Hallelujah.

I have been wanting to do this for a long time, and am very proud of myself. I think it will help me when I am cleaning as I won't be picking up random happy meal toys. I did overdo it though, because after 3 and a half hours doing this I did the dishes, and straightened the rest of the house, including CC's room, which in itself is a project. Now I am tired and my back hurts and I have a headache, but I'm still smiling. Tommorrow, the coat closet. (I'll remember to take a before picture so you all can laugh at how horrible it is.)

10 comments:

ashleyboice said...

wow...as someone that sees that closet almost everyday...i can't believe the transformation. Awesome job sister. ANd that coat closet is filled with more coats then I have ever seen.

Earl Family said...

I am oozing with jealousy over here! When are you coming to my house? :0 My toy room needs an overhaul too. Great job. I am proud of you.

Angelique said...

Nothing feels better than a clean something but an organized clean something is ten times better. Aww.

Allison said...

Oh, I love you so much! I always hear the things you go through...sick kids, hubby gone, hard pregnancies...and I think "If she can do it, I can do it!" You are a great example to me....sort of like the big sister I never had. (Even though we're the same age!) Your positivity is contagious!

Having said that, I have been on a closet organizing mission myself over the last month and I can appreciate the kind of organization in that picture! Way to go! Bravo! Doesn't it feel like you live in a whole new world?

mumovearls said...

That's what I do too! Just One thing at a time. I pick one thing a day and have at it!... ok more often I do the whole house and way over do it! The toy room Looks good though and like you said leaves you with a smile because you accomplished it!-N

amber said...

I seriously wonder why I have toys at all, my kids don't actually ever play with them- which makes me totally resent Christmas because I feel like i have to get toys just for show- but thats a totally different and random subject, anyways your closests look awesome.

Kim said...

Way to go! It looks great. I feel so satisfied and it's not even my house.

Melissa B. said...

Way to go!!! Have you ever checked out Flylady.com it is this great sight to help organize & de-clutter your life and home. I actually had a little enrichment on it today. I am feeling super motivated. By the way your kiddies are so cute!

lysh said...

I am really impressed. I live in an apartment and still feel like there is too much clutter sometimes. Last week I thought there was a lot of paper clutter. I attempted to organize one bin. There is so much I could do. Your blog was certainly some motivation.

Lindsay said...

Organizing closets is one of my favorite projects! I'm a little OCD when it comes to cleaning :) Good job! It looks like a model home!