Friday, November 28, 2008

No Dirty Dishes

Happy Thanksgiving. We had a very interesting day. We usually spend Thanksgiving with a large group of family, alternating between the Emig and Earl groups. The last couple of years we have either driven 10 hours to Arizona, or hosted at my home. With my parents on a mission, and all of my family going to their in-laws, I was faced with making our own Thanksgiving feast for Joey, me and the kids. I am no longer intimidated by this meal, as I have (with the help of my family) pulled off dinner for over 30 with all the fixins...but it seems like a lot of work for a group of kids who aren't even sure if they like mashed potatoes. So this year Joey and I decided to take the kids to Chuck-a-rama! I found this idea to be exhilarating and kind of funny. Lots of food for my picky kids to choose from, and NO CLEANUP!

I bragged around about my non-traditional plan. And people thought it sounded funny or sad. I think it actually helped me to not miss family so much. In the end, my best friend Celeste and her family joined us. (they too, thought the idea sounded stress-free) It was fantastic. Here are the pictures.


Ty and Jack in the car on the way there. They were so excited! (Ty has a few injuries, a fat lip from playing football, and a cut on his eyebrow from being accidentally pushed into a bookshelf at school!)



It was cold, which is why Carolina wouldn't cooperate and get in the picture.

Tyson and Adeline.


Me with my two boos.


Ella Rose and Jack. (Ella was being "too cool" to smile)


Grace, before eating...look how clean and sweet she is. Also, I wanted to show a picture with the buffet in the background.




Celeste and I. I was so glad that she and Darren came (Darren's parents came too.) She IS family to me.




Grace, after eating all a little girl could want (in her case, peaches, mac and cheese, applesauce and ice cream) looking less clean, but cute as usual.


The "kids table". It was so awesome, because the kids all sat together and had the best time. They were very well behaved, which surprised me. My kids haven't been to restaurants very much, so we had alot of talks about how to act in a "fancy restaurant". (This makes me laugh...when I was growing up I thought Denny's was so fancy, and it was for us....and I wanted my kids to feel the same way I did, that they were so special to be able to go out where grownups are, and they had better behave or else!...I'm not sure if I'm making sense to anyone right now, except maybe my brothers and sisters)




The "grown up table"....sorry Joey, I caught you mid-chew, but it was the only shot I got.

The highlights: the kids loved the slushie machine, Grace loved the pickles, I loved the rice pudding, and Joey loved it all. After eating Tyson had a bad tummy ache from eating too much...I guess he's like his dad and wants to get his money's worth at a buffet.
We came home and hung around. In the morning we watched Kung Fu Panda in the theater with the kids (funny movie). At night Joey and the boys watched a demoralizing Cardinal football game. I give my husband credit for not freaking out and making the rest of the night enjoyable for me. We watched Top Chef together snuggled up in our bed, and I couldn't help but think that I'm a girl who has it all. To all my scattered family...I love you! We are so blessed!

15 comments:

ashleyboice said...

Mmmmm I love chuck o rama. That looks yummy.

Then I scrolled down too far and saw the Twilight pictures and I got butterflies in my stomach. hahahaa

Supercords said...

I think it was a brilliant idea. I miss you guys. Hope to see you all this Thursday on Survivor Night. It's my birthday. :)

Shane

Douglas and Connie Jones Earl said...

Sounds great to me! LOVE MOM

emily said...

I was just remembering the year Addison was born and we didn't want to make the 10 hour drive, so without any family around we ordered Thanksgiving from Target. Sometimes those non-traditional fesitvities are the BEST! (I happened to be remembering that year because my sister abbie posted on her blog about how they ordered their Thanksgiving from the local grocery store as well...but they ordered theirs from the Piggly Wiggly! Somehow my Target indulgence seems so much more high class.)

LOVE you guys...

jayne said...

I love that you bucked tradition and went to a restaurant! Nice to not have clean up. Nothing was open around here or we would probably have done the same.

Angelique said...

No clean-up--sweetness. Cali - you look fantastic--I can't believe how long your hair is. Wish we could have joined you!

gramyflys said...

What an amazingly great idea! We had a great dinner here together, but we all worked like banshees all day long on it, and then we had so much food left over that we all felt a bit guilty about it. Maybe you have hit on something great here! I say, next year, Chuck-o-rama it is!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allison said...

Great Post! Go you for having your camera and documenting it so well! Grace is a mouse. Love that girl. Your "fancy restaurant" anecdote was so funny....I'm glad your kids took your preparation to heart and behaved well! Also, don't you LOVE spending holidays with "family" that aren't blood related? It's like you love them just as much but usually you have to split up on the traditional holidays. Way fun to be with your BFF. Love you guys!

p.s. 3 weeks until we head your way.....I need to call you about our arrival date and stuff....I"m afraid you're going to get over-run with Emigs before the party starts.....call me!

Kristy said...

Sounds like a great holiday to me! One year in Vegas we went to PF Changs. It was weird but fun. It's all about family. We missed you!

Kristy said...

That last comment was from Peggy. I didn't know I was signed in as Kristy!

mumovearls said...

First That Grace seems to have stolen Ryan's heart! He just Loves her! Second... Chuck-o-Rama?.... Wow! that's funny! I guess the most important thing is that you were with family and Friends and creating a memory! We love you guys!-Nena

Gramyflys said...

Did I mention how much I love your blog because I get to see more pictures of all of you! Thanks so much for DOING this!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim said...

Aaron and I did a Chuck-a-rama Thanksgiving a few years ago. I will have to say we did not seem to have the same wonderful experience you all did, but I'm glad you had a great time. Your kids are so cute.

Earl Family said...

Oh man. Yummy food and no work? Sign me up. We missed you over the break. Let's get together real soon.

Lea Ann said...

Both you and Celeste have cute families. And I too love the no fuss dinner. We did it one year and had a great time. The in-laws were not too happy. Next time you are in AZ we should get together.