Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Okay, I'm on a roll...DAY TWO in PERU

We woke up early and headed for the airport to fly to Cuzco. The airport was a zoo, and we kindof cut in line to get through security. We just acted clueless and got away with it. The night before my dad had issued a "challenge" to sell some canes that turn into chairs (there will be pictures later if you can't picture what I am talking about...in fact, I was cracking up looking at all my pictures from this trip, we have one in our hands almost constantly). One of my dad's friends make them, and supports his family selling them, so dad likes to help him out by being his main customer basically. He said he would pay for our meals if we could sell them. Anyway, it was funny.

Jared and Crisdee Mitchie met up with us at the airport. I have to pause to explain that Crisdee...formerly Luna, is my Peruvian sister...or I guess cousin technically. My dad and hers, Julio, were friends on my dad's mission to Peru when he was 19. Then Julio went back to Moses Lake and lived with my Grandma and Grandpa Earl. When my dad was a mission president in Peru, the Lunas were our family there. Now, the Lunas live in Moses Lake, and Crisdee married Jared, who I was friends with in High School. Bizarre. Anyway, when I think of my time in Peru, Crisdee was a big part of that. It was so awesome to get to travel around Peru with her.

When we got to Cuzco, something kinda funny happened. This guy with a baggage cart kept coming up to me and saying something. I thought he wanted me to pay him to carry our stuff, and I kept saying "no gracias"(like 3 or 4 times he approached me). Later to my embarassment, I realized that he had been saying "EARL"...he was there from the tour company to pick us up. In my defense...Peruvians cannot pronounce the word "earl" to save their lives.

We checked into "THE PUMA" hotel and rested for an hour before going to tour some sites.

My kids need me....more later.

3 comments:

Angelique said...

Man, this trip was so awesome with you guys. I really enjoyed spending time with you and Joey.

Douglas and Connie Jones Earl said...

Good job. LOVE MOM

lysh said...

I wonder how frustrated that guy from the tour company was trying to get you to understand. So funny!