Friday, February 6, 2009

Tuesday in Lima

Tuesday was a very eventful day for me. My dad went to work while the rest of us headed off to Colegio Franklin Delano Roosevelt. This was the private school my family attended while in Peru. We spent alot of our time there. I had butterflies in my stomach on the way there. When we checked in with the guard we kind of had to talk him into letting us go in. I didn't have i.d. with me, but just kept smiling, and he relented. He told us to go in the ASB office and talk to Mary Nakata.

I about fainted when I saw Mary and she said "CALI?". She was in my class when I attended 6, 7 and 8th grades there. She now works at the school in the alumni office. It was so bizarre to see her, looking the same and knowing me too. Bear with me, I took alot of pictures.


The ASB building.

The elementary school. (The campus is divided into 2 sides, elementary and junior high and high school with a huge grassy area between)


Me posing in front of my "cubby" from sixth grade. (I don't like my hair, it was early in the day and it was still wet...and it is like this in all these pictures, what a shame. hee) But look how excited I look! Then I found my 6th grade classroom open. So I snuck in for a quick picture. I had Mr. Healy, it even smelled the same.



The library. I spent ALOT of my time reading.


The high school side, where I went once I was in 7th.


Justin and Angelique, walking. It was so amazing to be at Roosevelt with Justin, and sharing our memories. It was one reason I really wanted to come to Peru with him specifically.


Me in the halls...just a little taller, curvier, and minus the big red glasses.


Justin and I were hoping to find Manolo, the candy guy, on campus. He had a store with all kinds of treats to buy. Justin even had an "account" with him. Instead we found this plaque in his honor which says "in memory of a great man who affected the lives of all alumni of Colegio Roosevelt for 35 years." It was pretty touching.



This amphitheatre has been enclosed. It used to have a picnic table right where I am sitting, where my friends and I would eat lunch every day. I went to dances here, and was even in a couple of plays.


Walking the halls with my peeps.


The gym.


The grounds.

Inside the gym.


Wow, it was surreal to be back it this place. I loved it.


Next, we went to visit Dad at his office. The church has beautiful buildings, with grounds. A wonderful place to work. This is Joey, out front.

My mom, proudly showing us the cafeteria.


My mom at her desk.


This is where it all happens.


After a visit at the office, we were off to see the home we lived in while here from 1987-90. The family who lives there works for the church, and were so nice to let us come go through it. I took pictures of everything! Here are some of them.

Joey and Dad walking down my street.

The park by my house, beautiful, if a bit stinky.


The front gate. My heart was racing at this point.


Joey and I at the front door. He was such a good sport about acting interested in all of this.


Me in front of my bedroom window.


The view from said window.


Inside, a hallway.


Part of the kitchen.

Outside, looking at the addition.


The side alleyway, I had to put this for my sisters, we used to chase each other around the whole house.

In the backyard.

On the back patio.


The front yard.




Front of the house.

Outside the front wall.


My street.


After the house we went out to lunch with Armando...I had a delicious steak sandwich with eggplant on it. Then we went by our old church building.


Later that night we went through a temple session in English at the Lima Temple. The temple president and his wife and Elder Nash and his wife were there. It was a really special experience.
Then we couldn't decide to have pizza or chicken, so we ordered both. This was one of the best days of my life.

3 comments:

Crisdee said...

oh my goodness! you are great! I can't believe you've done this, I am so ashamed! haven't posted anything... i really don't remember what I've done! lol...
I posted your video on youtube
will send you the link!

Happy Birthday for tomorrow! Love ya!

I'm just kidding on the video! :)

Ryan and Traci said...

I loved seeing these pictures! I mean I have to say that I was crying the entire time I was looking at this post. It was so cool to see that part of your life that I missed! Love ya Cal!

gramyflys said...

Cali, what an amazing time you must have had seeing and feeling all those old memories. It was great to see them too. I love your house and can just see you growing up there for such an important phase of your life. It helped you become who you are today. Who lives in the house now? Is it owned by the Church? What a wonderful trip for you, and for Joey to now have references for this important part of your past.